This 3-story old grist mill constructed in 1835 of limestone has three secret rooms below the basement floor that were used as waiting rooms for the Underground Railroad. Each night when it was dark, the water to the 30-foot waterwheel was turned off and the 3-foot square, 1,000-foot long tunnel became an escape route for fleeing slaves. The grist mill is used as an ice cream and billiards parlor in a complex of historic vacation cottages overlooking a stone-encased natural gorge. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
1679 Mill Road Saint Johnsville, NY 13452-3911