Built in 1951 and running continuously since its opening in 1952, the El Rancho Drive-In still has its original 60’x90’ screen. The lot accommodates 400 cars. Before showtime, the smell of popcorn, burgers and fried food wafts from the traditional flat-roof concession stand, luring people from their frolicking to oldies music on the front lawn.
The only thing different from the old days is that the sound for the movies can now be played through the automobile and portable FM radios, eliminating the need to hang clunky wired speakers from the car windows.
6070 State Route 5, Palatine Bridge